Sunday, June 30, 2013

BET Awards

I missed the intro and the red carpet stuff but, the R. Kelly performance was what first grabbed my attention. He definitely has a lot of hits to put on a great show. Took it back through the times and captivated the audience and the home audience as well.

Meagan Good that dress and the things I woulda done to her. I think Meagan is super sexy and that dress just showed off how great the body is.

I thought Gabby Douglas was great on stage accepting her award Sportswoman of the Year.

Was it just me or did it look like Mariah was lip syncing? I liked the performance overall though. Miguel and Jeezy made up for it if she was lip syncing.

Kevin Hart as always over the top and hilarious. Turn Up!

Jamie Foxx was good accepting the award for best actor. I really liked his speech. He was extra calm and collected while up there and definitely kept it funny.

Best female hiphop artist nomination was pretty weak this year. Everyone knew who was gonna win before the nominations were over. Nicki did look extremely sexy though. Im not hating on her I just think that some healthy competition wouldn't be bad for her right now.

I really liked how Miguel actually performed his song and the guitar intro was really good as well. It brought you into the live performance feel off the rip.  Kendrick definitely enhanced the performance.

Taraji was amazing. Looking great as always.

Best male hip hop artist Kendrick after he just got off stage was amazing. I feel like the award was definitely given to the appropriate artist. Great inspirational speech on accepting his award. He definitely brings a breath of fresh air to the game. It has been long awaited to see hiphop turn back.

Tribute to Charlie Wilson was a good collage of performance and photos. Told a good story in a short period of time. Great interviews. Great story.

Great performance afterwards. India Arie was great. Loved the band and background singers to accent the amazing talent. Jamie Fox had a great following performance. Brought out a lot of soul in that performance as a whole. Stevie Wonder was an amazing addition to the performance as well. It definitely made it a great tribute to Charlie Wilson. Good speech as well. Gave props to all the right people for all the right reasons. I really liked the performance he did after his award. Great stage prescense and undeniable vocal talent. Good look bringin out Snoop and Pharrell for Beautiful. Great song and really got the younger crowd into it. Bringin out Justin also brought a great vibe to the stage as well. In a whole it was the best performance of the night so far. Plus ya gotta love Snoop up there actin a fool on stage.

J. Cole performance fit very well. I liked the band interpretation on the first track he performed. Then I really liked the selection of the most recent hit Got me up all night. Definitely seen a lot of Miguel tonight.

Thought it was a good idea to bring out a gospel artist to perform as well. Brought a different vibe to the show for sure. Good performance and very soothing voice. Good job Tamela Mann.

Curtis Fields definitely brought the new age technology to the stage great live performance from the iphone. Its crazy what technology can do for music. I don't know if its for the good or the bad yet we will just have to wait and see.

Ciara performance was more like a dance performance than a song performance. She definitely got the moves to that though. Definitely got the body and looks to do it as well. I really liked the performance outfit.

ASAP Fuckin Problems was definitely a good collaboration with features from 2Chainz, Drake, and Kendrick, and I can see why he won. One question though, what was up with the outfit?

The CEO of BET definitely seemed a little choked up about giving D Wade the Humanitarian award. Im not sure if she was just a little nervous about a public speech or if she was that emotional about it. Either way good mini documentary on him and how he came about using fame and money to give back to the community. Wades World Foundation definitely seems like a really good program and I can only hope that one day that I am in the position to do something similar. I think he did a great job at giving his acceptance speech.

2Chainz here is the same question about ASAP. Whats up with the outfit? Really bruh? I liked the Fuckin Problems performance though. Good idea to perform an award winner from earlier in the night.

Bow Wow retarded tho. Keepin it real tho.

Viewers Choice award went to Drake for Started from the Bottom. Not a big surprise because its something everyone wants to relate to. Everybody wants to make it or can appreciate how far they have made it. Best movie award went to no surprise Think Like A Man. It was a huge hit with tons of star power in the movie. Kevin Hart retarded as always.

Janelle Monae performance was full of energy. Im not really familiar with her music but I definitely enjoyed the performance. Great live instrumentation as well.

What was up with the dog on stage at the end Chris Tucker? I wasn't a fan of Chris Tucker as the host. I didn't think that he was that funny and relied on just yelling to keep the energy up.

The performances I missed live were the Robin Thicke w/ Pharell and T.I. After I went back and watched I thought it was pretty good. I like the collaboration for the song. I also missed the Chris Brown performance . It was definitely a dance featured performance. Definitely some lip syncing on that one but that is to be expected from him cuz he features his dance moves more on his performances. What was up with some of these performance outfits though? Nicki floatin was pretty bad ass though. I really liked it. Im most upset I didn't get to see the Kendrick performance with Erykah Badu performance. I really think that Erykah enhanced the performance. I love that song and for her to come out and grace it with her talent was amazing. I also thought the live instrumentation was great addition to that song performance. Kendrick did a great job overall on the stage throughout the night

Overall I thought it was a really good awards show. I only had a few things that didn't sit too well with me. I wasn't a fan of the host and some of the outfits were a little out there for my taste. Other than that I thought it was a good show. I liked the performances, I liked most of the speeches, and I agreed or understood most of the winners. The only award I would have liked to see is that Elle Varner is my choice for female R&B/Pop artist. Im a big Elle Varner fan so my opinion may be slightly skewed. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as me and yall lemme know what ya think.

Awards and Winners List


Best Female R&B/Pop Artist

Rihanna

Best Male R&B/Pop Artist

Miguel

Best Group

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Best Collaboration

A$SAP ft. Drake, 2Chainz and Kendrick Lamar "Problems"

Best Male Hip Hop Artist

Kendrick Lamar

Best Female Hip Hop Artist

Nicki Minaj

Video of the Year

Drake "Started From The Bottom"

Video Director of the Year

Benny Boom

Best Gospel Artist

Mary Mary

Best Actress

Kerry Washington

Best Actor

Jamie Foxx

Youngstars Award

Gabrielle Douglas

Best Movie

Think Like A Man

Sportswoman of the Year

Gabrielle Douglas

Sportsman of the Year

Lebron James

Viewers Choice Award

Drake "Started From The Bottom"

Centric Award

Tamar Braxton "Love and War"

Best International Act: Africa

Ice Prince

Best International Act: UK

Emeli Sande

Best New Artist

Kendrick Lamar

No comments:

Post a Comment